Thursday, December 18, 2008

OBAMA PICKS A CELEBRITY PASTOR

This is from my best friend's blog:

The choice of Rick Warren to offer the invocation at the presidential inauguration certainly was a political one. I'm not even all that surprised that Barack Obama chose him as a way to offer a "big tent" philosophy.

However if I was advising him I would have advised him to choose an "in the trenches" pastor, someone who knows the daily struggles of members of her congregation, someone who attends monthly trustee meetings, someone who sits with his parishoners and holds their hand while they are dying. Why choose a celebrity pastor? I have nothing against Rick Warren personally - I certainly don't agree with him on lots of issues - and I'm sure he will say wonderful things. I just wish the choice was less flashy and more sensitive to those who faithfully offer outstanding pastoral leadership day in and day out without drawing attention to themselves.

No comments: